Return to Map for other towns.
If bucolic estates, bridle paths, picturesque county roads and easy accessibility to all of Westchester and New York City appeal to you, Bedford is the place to be. While its citizens include countless celebrities and high fliers from the world of business and politics, the town offers all of its residents a low-key and sumptuous style of country living. The town radiates outwards from its village green (included on the National Register of Historic Places) and cluster of historic houses to include charming homes and estates of numerous styles and sizes. Winding its way through the community are over one hundred miles of well-maintained riding trails. And while there is great diversity in its inhabitants, Bedford offers its residents a strong feeling of community. www.bedfordny.com. Town FactsTransportationCommuters from Bedford are able to reach Grand Central Station within an hour from several nearby stations on Metro North’s Harlem Line. Bedford Hills station is located on 46 Depot Plaza, Katonah station is at 70 Katonah Avenue and the Mount Kisco station can be found at 1 Kirby Plaza. All stations offer a variety of parking options. Visit www.mta.info for more information.Connecting services: There is a Beeline # 19 bus stop at all three stations which runs between Katonah and Ossining. See www.beelinebus.com for a schedule.Airport: Westchester- http://www.westchestergov.com/airport (20 Min) EducationPublic School:The schools within the Bedford School District include: Bedford Hills Elementary School (K-5) 914-241-1600
Bedford Village Elementary School (K-5) 914-234-4178
Mt. Kisco Elementary School (K-5) 914-666-2677
Pound Ridge Elementary School (K-5) 914-764-8133
Fox Lane Middle School (6-8) 914-241-6000
Fox Lane High School (9-12) 914-241-6000You can also check the website of the New York State Education Department for the full school report on Bedford schools at http://emsc33.nysed.gov/repcrd2004/links/c66_distPrivate Schools:Religious Schools:Recreation
- Bedford is known as an equestrian paradise. There are large open spaces, dirt roads and numerous covered riding rings along with an extensive system of well maintained riding trails.
- Golfers will be pleased with the facilities at the Bedford Golf & Tennis Club-18 hole Private Golf Course and Tennis Courts and Hudson Hills a public golf course located in Ossining.
- Movie theaters are located in Mt. Kisco, Cortlandt Town Center, and Danbury CT.
- Peach Lake in North Salem is the only lake in Westchester that allows motorized water sports such as waterskiing and jetskiing.
- The reservoirs and streams of the Croton reservoir system host some of the best fishing in the Hudson Valley region.
- Enjoy hiking and walking at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, Westmoreland Sanctuary, The Henry Morgenthau Preserve and Mianus River Gorge Preserve. Canine members of the family can play at Bedford D.O.G., a seventeen acre dog park complete with off-leash trails and an agility training course.
- The Katonah Museum of Art located on Rte 22 features rotating collections of fascinating exhibits, a tranquil sculpture garden, and an interactive learning center for children
- Visit Caramoor Center for Music and Arts on Girdle Ridge Road Sept-May and attend indoor concerts. During the summer, two outdoor theaters feature the world’s finest classical and jazz musicians in a dramatically beautiful setting. House Museum features collection of Renaissance and Eastern art Afternoon tea is offered on Thursday and Friday in combination with museum tours.
- Three public libraries are conveniently located nearby – Bedford Free Library, Bedford Hills Free Library and the Katonah Village Library.
- The Westchester Mall is 15 minutes away in White Plains (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus)
- The nearby Danbury Fair Mall houses over one hundred stores including Sears and Macy’s.
- Home Depot is 30 minutes away in both Yonkers or Cortlandt Town Center
- Local grocery chains and specialty gourmet markets are located in Katonah, Goldens Bridge and Bedford Village.
- Bistro Twenty-two is an elegant restaurant with a fabulous wine list and continental cuisine in the heart of Bedford Village. 234-7333.
- In Banksville on the Bedford-Banksville Road is romantic La Cremaillere, consistently rated as one of the best French restaurants in Westchester.
- Meetinghouse on Court Street in Bedford Village has casual, but excellent American fare-its diverse menu’s full range of hearty appetizers and main courses, as well as mouthwatering desserts offer patrons a most satisfying dining experience.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.See something wrong? We’ll make corrections asap; e-mail: email@example.com
|Includes hamlets of Bedford Village, Bedford Hills and Katonah
Local Highways: Saw Mill Parkway, Taconic State Parkway, I684
Distance to NYC: 44 miles
|Incorporated in 1680
Population: 18,522 (2002 census)
|The Hackley School||PreK-12||(914) 631-0128|
|The Masters School||PreK-12||(914) 693-0128|
|Rye Country Day School||PreK-12||(914) 967-1417|
|The Harvey School||6-12||(914) 232-3161|
|Archbishop Stepinac High School||9-12 boys||(914) 946-4800|
|Fordham Preparatory School||9-12||(718) 367-7500|
|Good Counsel Academy||K-8||(914) 761-4423|
|Good Counsel High School||9-12||(914) 949-0178|
|Solomon Schechter||K-12||(914) 948-3111|
|St. Josephs Parochial School||K-12||(914) 277-3783|
|St. Patricks Parochial School||PreK-8||(914) 234-7914|
|John F Kennedy High School||9-12||(914) 941.3849|