Larchmont-bordering the shoreline of Long Island Sound in southern Westchester and only 21 miles from Manhattan-includes the Village of Larchmont as well as the Unincorporated Area in the Town of Mamaroneck. The Village is quaint and has a bustling downtown. Larchmont offers a mix of housing from mansions-reflecting its history as a 19th century summer playground for New York’s elite-to more modest, but equally charming single family homes, many of them English-style Tudors. Some of the most spectacular waterfront real estate in the Northeast can be found in Larchmont. For most of its residents the greatest appeal of Larchmont is its strong sense of community and warm environment for raising families.
|Village of Larchmont and the Town of Mamaroneck
Local Highways: Hutchinson River Parkway, I-95
Distance to NYC: 21 miles
||Area: 6.25 sq miles
Commuters from Larchmont can reach Grand Central in 35 minutes on the New Haven line of Metro North Railroad. The Larchmont Train Station is located at 1 Railroad Way between Chatsworth Avenue and Depot Way. Visitwww.mta.info for more information.
Station parking: Town of Mamaroneck parking: commuter capacity: 346 cars. Call 914-381-7870. Village of Larchmont parking: commuter capacity: 669. Call 914-834-6230 for information. Metered parking is available from both the Village and Town.
Connecting Services: A Bee-Line bus stops at the Larchmont Train Station for: Routes 60,61,66,70 and 71. Fare is $1.75 or uni-ticket for $37.50 a month. See www.beelinebus.com for a schedule.
Larchmont is serviced by the local Mamaroneck Union Free School District. It consists of Mamaroneck High School, Hommocks Middle School and four elementary schools.
You can also check the website of New York State Education Department for a full school report on Mamaroneck schools at http://emsc33.nysed.gov/repcrd2004/links/c66_dist
- Located on Long Island Sound is beautiful Manor Park, which has a beach open to residents of the Village of Larchmont.
- Horseshoe Harbor, located at Manor Park, is a private club with moorings and a launch service.
- Nearby Mamaroneck Harbor has a public boat docking facility.
- The middle school-Hommocks-has an Olympic-sized pool which is used in the middle school gym program and also serves as the town pool. The pool has a bubble top for year around use by the whole community. The fee for its use is less than $400 a year per family. A kiddy pool and snack bar open in the summer are also a part of the Hommocks pool complex. Families can also host birthday parties at the pool.
- The Hommocks Ice Rink located next to the middle school and pool, is a wonderful public facility with one of the best ice rinks in Westchester. The enclosed rink is the site of an intramural youth hockey league, and ice skating school available for children of all ages and skill levels. Parties and special events can also be arranged. The fee is $4.50 for residents and $6.50 for the public.
- Public tennis courts can be found at Memorial Park in Larchmont and Central Elementary School. The Village tennis courts are located in Flint Park. A comprehensive group lesson program is available for children and adults.
- Flint Park is also Larchmont’s facility for soccer games and summer leagues.
- Turtle Park and Pine Brook Park have play grounds with swing sets and slides for young children.
- Larchmont has access to over 300 acres of parkland, including the Larchmont Reservoir with hiking trails around the lake.
- With over twelve and one-half miles of shoreline and its proximity to New York City, its not surprising that Larchmont has some of the most exclusive and beautiful yacht clubs in the United States. The Larchmont Yacht Club and the Larchmont Shore Club both have beach, tennis and dining facilities.
- Some of the best known golf clubs in the country are in Larchmont. Winged Foot Golf Club on Fenimore Road has two of the world’s greatest courses and has been the site of some of the greatest moments in golfing history. However, it has a waiting list that is decades long. The Hampshire Country Club on Long Island Sound has a full-range of sports and social activities including a beautiful course that was recently renovated. The Bonnie Briar Country Club has a lovely old Tudor club house, extensive facilities and a championship 18-hole course. All are in the Village of Larchmont and the Town of Mamaroneck.
- The Watercolor Café and The Globe Bar & Grill both have New American cuisine in a fun ambiance that makes a great place to meet friends. Check out live music at Watercolor and the casual single scene in the back room of the Globe. Sherwood’s has burgers and a popular bar.
- Larchmont has many fine dining options. Pascal’s on Chatsworth Avenue is a gracious, formal French restaurant. Plates has a more creative flare with New American cuisine. A consistently excellent Northern Italian restaurant is Lusardi’s which has a lovely, warm atmosphere.
- Ethnic restaurants are in no short supply. Despite the name, Ray’s is a good choice for Chinese. In keeping with Larchmont’s naming patterns, Harry’s Burritos offers satisfying Mexican food. Turquoise’s delightful Turkish-Mediterranean dishes are presented with friendly service.
- Larchmont’s boutiques include Wendy Gee’s for a great selection of gifts. Pink on Palmer is the place to go for fragrance and toiletries. For clothing, Classic Baby has adorable and functional baby clothes. Upscale women’s clothes can be found at Designer One and shoes at Plaza Two. Palmer Jewelers has an extensive selection of fine jewelry.
- Chain stores include Ann Taylor and The Gap.
- Larchmont residents consider themselves fortunate to have their very own Trader Joe’s.
- Nearby in New Rochelle are Costco, Home Deport and Home Expo. Of course, the Westchester, one of the most wonderful shopping malls on the East Coast, is only minutes away in White Plains.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.
See something wrong? We’ll make corrections asap; e-mail: email@example.com